About Crown Law
Our vision is to provide collaborative, indispensable legal service. Crown Law provides legal advice and representation to the Government of New Zealand in the areas of criminal, public and administrative law. We practise in judicial review of government action, constitutional law (including Treaty of Waitangi issues), and the protection of Government’s revenue. We also supervise criminal prosecutions, and conduct criminal appeals in the senior courts.
About the roles
We are looking to appoint up to two counsel in our Constitutional & Human Rights Teams. These teams undertake novel and interesting work in their fields of speciality. For example, counsel in these teams recently:
- represented the Attorney-General in litigation establishing the jurisdiction of the senior courts to make declarations that primary legislation is inconsistent with rights affirmed by the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990
- represented the Minister of Justice in a judicial review challenge to extradition to the People’s Republic of China
- advised Ministers on terms of reference for the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Attack on Christchurch Mosques on 15 March 2019
These roles would suit experienced litigators with a demonstrable interest and experience in public law litigation, preferably with particular expertise in constitutional and/or human rights issues. The successful candidate(s) will contribute to the Constitutional & Human Rights Teams’ proven track record of:
- conducting high-level litigation for public sector clients
- working with senior counsel and recognised experts in their fields
- advising the Government on legal risk, policy development of policy and law reform, and topical constitutional issues
Crown Counsel take a lead role in service delivery, holding themselves to the highest standards of professionalism and working directly with clients in a collaborative “all of government” way, assisted by Assistant Crown Counsel and support staff. In addition, Senior Crown Counsel are expected to demonstrate professional leadership across Crown Law, and the wider Government Legal Network.
Crown Law has offices in Wellington and Auckland, and would consider making appointments in either office. We offer a flexible working environment, and will consider applications from candidates interested in working less than full-time. Active career development through mentoring, training and Government Legal Network opportunities will be available to the successful candidate(s).
About the application process
Applications should include a covering letter, curriculum vitae and academic transcript. To be considered for these roles you must have a legal right to live, work and practice law in New Zealand, and are required to complete a Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Check.
To apply in Wellington, please use the following link: https://www.qjumpers.co.nz/job-seeker/apply/?jobid=54986&src=
To apply in Auckland, please use the following link: https://www.qjumpers.co.nz/job-seeker/apply/?jobid=54983&src=